Sunday, December 2, 2007

Grey

Good evening, Senator, the woman in grey had said. She smiled past my protestations that she must be mistaken and kept walking a smooth, even walk down the lamp-lit street. Her hand rested lightly on the arm of her tuxedoed companion, and he did not seem to notice our exchange. In the twenty years since that night, I never saw her outside of my mind's recollections.

This evening she surprised me in the receiving line at the party to celebrate my election. I would have sworn that neither she nor her dress bore any sign of time's passage. At her request I excused myself from the festivities and we left the building to walk beneath the mewling stars. I said nothing throughout our time, as the one question I wanted to ask was the one question I was sure she wouldn't answer. She broke our silence only once, and this to say to a young man in the street, "Good evening, Senator."


Posted by Gregory Taylor

No comments: